Post of the Director General of BBMRI-ERIC.
The pan-European Biobanking and BioMolecular Resources Research Infrastructure (BBMRI) is a distributed biomedical infrastructure, which operates under the European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) legal framework. With 19 countries and one intergovernmental organisation as members and observers, BBMRI-ERIC is today one of the largest infrastructures for health in the EU (http://www.bbmri-eric.eu/). Its aim is to improve quality and facilitate the accessibility and interoperability of the existing comprehensive collections of biological samples and biomolecular resources that are participating in the national networks of its members and observers.
BBMRI-ERIC has its Central Executive Management Office in Graz, Austria, with a current staff of 20 head counts and is now seeking to recruit a Director General of BBMRI-ERIC.
S/He is sought as an outstanding person that will act as the legal representative and Chief Executive Officer of BBMRI-ERIC and in this capacity s/he will lead and continue the development of BBMRI-ERIC.
The responsibilities of the Director General are in particular:
- To define the strategic development of BBMRI-ERIC taking into consideration stakeholders’ needs. This shall be done in close coordination with the Assembly of Members and the National/Organisational Nodes,
- to develop and implement a work programme and budget,
- to lead the team in Graz,
- to build an effective and collaborative working environment with the National/Organisational Nodes and biobanking communities,
- to set up strong relationships with and to build bridges between a broad range of stakeholders including patient organisations, user communities, industry, other ESFRI research infrastructures, regulatory and funding bodies as well as policy makers on national and EU levels to forward BBMRI-ERIC’s goals,
- to attract new Members and/or Observers,
- to ensure that BBMRI-ERIC activities comply with relevant regulations, ethical principles and societal values,
- to lead fundraising efforts for BBMRI-ERIC and its partners, on national and European levels,
- to coordinate public relations and dissemination activities,
- to monitor, measure and report on BBMRI-ERIC’s progress to the Assembly of Members as well as the European Commission.
Required qualifications and skills are:
- a MD and/or PhD and/or other degree in a relevant field (preferably biomedical research, translational research, biobanking),
- a solid international scientific and/or management experience,
- a good record of achievements in her/his previous career,
- strategic competence,
- excellent operational leadership abilities and managerial skills,
- experience in leading teams, consortia or organisations, preferably in international settings,
- excellent communication and negotiation skills,
- knowledge of research funding programmes, especially EU programmes, and a track record in funding acquisition,
- experience in management of large research infrastructures or infrastructure networks would be an asset.
BBMRI-ERIC is an inclusive, equal opportunity and non-discrimination employer offering by its complexity a challenging but at the same time attractive and inspiring working environment and conditions.
The annual gross salary is negotiable and at a minimum of € 100,000.–.
According to the BBMRI-ERIC Statutes the Director General shall be appointed by the Assembly of Members for a term of at least three years, with the possibility to be reappointed.
Application process and tentative timelines:
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver to assist the recruitment committee. Applications should consist of a covering letter explaining motivation and qualifications for the position and a full curriculum vitae. Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions about the post on +44 (0) 20 7340 6281 or email@example.com.
Applications can be uploaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates, quoting reference number 4458, starting as of 13thNovember 2019. The closing date for applications is 5pm CET on Friday 13th December 2019.
Candidates who are longlisted by the committee will be invited to a first round interview with Perrett Laver in early January 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a formal interview with the committee in Vienna, Austria in early February 2020.
Expected start date in office in Graz, Austria for the Director General is in quarter one/two of 2020.